COVID-19 & Driver Recruiting: Updates for 3/27/2020
We understand you and your team are battling the challenge of recruiting and retaining drivers during this unexpected pandemic situation. Conversion Interactive Agency is committed to regularly sharing with you the trends, information and data we are collecting that impacts you and your carrier.
While this is an ever-changing situation, below is a rundown of what we know today:
The following includes information on driver recruitment media and marketing updates:
Reminder: Next week we’re hosting a client webinar that will include the latest changes from FMCSA relating to the Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse (even those made in the last couple of weeks). Register today for “Top 10 Tips Carriers Need to Know About the FMCSA’s Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse” by CLICKING HERE.
- FMCSA Issued a Second Installment to FAQs for Carriers & Drivers – On Wednesday, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration issued a second installment to frequently asked questions regarding the nationwide emergency hours-of-service exemption for truck drivers hauling loads related to the COVID-19 pandemic. You can review all of these FAQs and answers here.
- Freight is Strong Today, But Economists Warn of Difficulty in Coming Months – The surge in demand for Coronavirus panic-buying and shelter-in-place causing consumers to purchase more goods has been great for freight volume for carriers hauling these types of products. However, industry economists are predicting second-quarter truckload volumes to fall almost 20% on a year-to-year basis. They predict this will hurt rates in the near term, further impacting the industry. You can read more here.
- CVTA is Asking Carriers to Support CDL Schools and State Driver’s License Agencies As “Essential” – The Commercial Vehicle Training Association (CVTA) is asking for support from fleets to encourage state and federal government officials to clarify that CDL Schools and State Driver’s License Agencies (SDLAs) are “essential services.” Fleets can provide support by sending letters to the National Governors Association and to legislators on Capitol Hill.
- Fuel Prices Are Down & Supply is Greatly Outweighing Demand – In a conference call held with carriers this week, Pilot/Flying J shared that fuel supply is steady, but eventually the supply is going to outweigh demand so much that eventually, the storage of fuel is going to be a problem and refiners will most likely stop production. The truck stop chain also assured carriers they are open with fuel, food, and showers, and they will be offering more incentives for their driver loyalty program throughout the pandemic.
- Heavy Duty Trucking Hosting Webinar for Fleets & Drivers – Heavy Duty Trucking is hosting a webinar Monday, March 30 at 2pm EDT – What Fleets Need to Know Now About the COVID-19 Crisis. The webinar will cover the regulatory landscape of COVID-19, what fleets can expect with freight and the economy, and how fleets can help their drivers during this crisis. You can register by clicking here.
- Facebook Says Usage Growth from COVID-19 is Unprecedented – Facebook recently said in a blog post that “usage growth from COVID-19 is unprecedented across the industry” and that the platform is “experiencing new records in usage almost every day.” Conversion Interactive encourages you to make sure you are effectively communicating through your Social Networks regarding COVID-19 response and/or policy changes.
- Carriers Should Pay Close Attention to Their Brand’s Marketing Tone – Conversion Nation encourages you to understand that your audience may have loved ones suffering from Coronavirus or at high risk from complications from it. Keep your tone empathetic, upbeat, and most of all authentic.
- Consider Adding Virtual Hiring Events to Your Strategy During COVID-19 – The Conversion Interactive Digital Media Team recommends considering virtual hiring events during this season. These are events that takes place at a certain time through online channels. During the session, which works similarly to how webinars are structured, recruiters and job seekers meet in a virtual space via chat rooms, teleconferencing, webcasts, and/or text and email to exchange information about job postings. For more information or to schedule a virtual hiring event reach out to your Account Executive.
If you have specific information you would like to know or would like us to research, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.