Five Things You Can Do RIGHT NOW to Improve Recruitment and Retention Using Social Media
By: Katie Adkins, Social Media Strategist, ACS Advertising
It has been ten years since the debut of the well-known social networking site, Facebook. With over a billion users, if Facebook were a country, it would be the third largest in the world. To put that in perspective, there are about 317 million people in the United States. Whoa. But Facebook is not the only site putting up some impressive stats. Did you know that 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute? That means in the time that it takes you to read this blog, there will have been enough video uploaded to keep you entertained—day and night—for the next two weeks! Whoa again. Think about the amount of time spent using these sites on smart phones and tablets…in cars…in trucks (on down time of course)! Twenty seven percent of total U.S. internet time is spent on social media sites. You can’t ignore it, it is a growing trend. You have to get on board!
So, you have decided to get in the cab and roll with it. What now? You have to determine your goals. Companies use social media for many different reasons: product promotions, special events, e-commerce (online stores), customer service, and much more. Now, you might be thinking, “None of those really apply to me as a carrier.” Well I am here to tell you, that isn’t the case! As a carrier, you can use these important outlets for all of the above; PLUS the critical business of recruitment and retention of your drivers and associates. Bringing folks in the door and keeping them there is a challenge that has plagued the trucking industry for years. Social media is quickly going to become a valuable utensil in your tool box to accomplish just that.
Here are 5 things you can do right now to improve your recruitment and retention using social media:
- Ask your audience what they want to see. They will tell you and give you a ton of great content ideas to use in the future to drive traffic to your sites and up the application numbers!
- Pictures and video! Drivers, associates, families, EVERYONE loves to see pictures and videos of themselves. It is part of being human. Post pictures and videos to your sites from events, award ceremonies, or just another day at the office. Ask your Fans to tag themselves and even submit their own photos and videos. Audience engagement is key, and it’s okay to ask for it!
- Show appreciation. Tell your drivers and associates how valuable they are to you and the success of the company. Remind them of how lucky you feel to have them on your team. A simple “Thank you” or a “You’re really doing a great job!” can go a long way with someone in an industry that often feels underappreciated.
- Make announcements. How many times have you heard “Oh, I didn’t check my email last week” or “I never make it to the terminal to see those flyers?” Make important announcements on your social media sites. Your people are there and they are more likely to see what you have to say. You will have more interaction, involvement, and an overall happier group of drivers and associates.
- Sell your company’s culture! We are in a day and age where a driver really has a choice when it comes to what company they are going to drive for. Showing outsiders how great it is to be on the inside through your social sites is the perfect way to get the applications flowing in. Show that potential driver that if they choose your company, they are making the right decision.
Now that you know how to use it, jump on board the social media train—er, truck! It’s time.